The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Forum Topic Tracking

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone here has ever implemented forum topic tracking and feels like sharing?  I have site which has a very simple discussion feature implemented.  A user has to be logged in to participate in the discussions, but not to view.  What I am now trying to tackle is a simple way to let the user know which discussions have changed since they last checked them (bolding the link for example).  Now there are several ways of going about this - basically, using a cookie to track the discussions viewed from a particular computer (not so desirable since it won't carry to other machines), or to have a table that maps user_id to discussion_id with a timestamp (tracking won't work if not logged in).  I'm leaning towards the latter though, since tha nature of the site means that being logged in is almost the default.  Of course, if you have just 10,000 users tracking a lowly 100 discussions, you're talking a million rows (though perhaps discussions that haven't had action in 30 days can be culled as far as tracking goes?).  Anyway, any thoughts?

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle M Send private email
Sunday, February 04, 2007

How about any forum you want + coComment?  Would that work? (maybe I missed something)
D. Lambert Send private email

i wrote a firefox extension to track these (joel on software) forums.
money for nothing, checks for free

This forum uses a very simple technique. When somebody posts a new reply the link to the topic changes (I think that the timestamp of the post is added at the end ) and the rest is handled by your browser which then marks the link as un-visited.
Jan Hančič Send private email
Monday, February 05, 2007

Cool, thanks for the different approaches.  Appreciate it.
Kyle M Send private email
Monday, February 05, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics