The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

X-windows font problem

Hi,

I am trying to run an application (done in GTK) over an X-windows session. I use X-ming as the X-server. When I run the app, text doesn't appear on the GUI and I see error messages of the following sort in the logs:

"SetFont courB14 failed"

The X-server is apparently not able to find the particular font. The logs output by the program sadly don't give any further information.

My question: what would you say is the font file I should install to fix this problem?
Arun
Thursday, February 01, 2007

You could download the xming font pack and install it. I don't remember exactly where I got this from, but it is available on the xming site... somewhere... and includes all the standard X fonts. I don't recall its requiring any specific setup.

(Looking through the fonts folder, it contains something called COURB14, which I guess is the font your program is looking for.)

I too have never had much joy with X fonts -- I always seemed to be missing some. So in the end I just stopped using any programs except xterm and emacs ;)
Tom_
Friday, February 02, 2007

Thanks, Tom. After some sleuthing and asking around, I managed to get the font from the application binary package.
Arun
Friday, February 02, 2007

Tom_, what do you use xterms for?  Isn't M-x-term good enough for you?  :P
Iago
Sunday, February 04, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics