The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

PDF library

Have you used any open source PDF library to process PDF documents?

Which is good and have active community?

Pdftk seems nice but its development stops. No active developer.
PDFLibrary Send private email
Thursday, February 01, 2007

You might have a look at reportlab's stuff, www.reportlab.com

I haven't played that much with it, but it seems reasonably capable. These are Python libraries.
George Jansen Send private email

If you are looking for creating PDFs I recently used PDFSharp and found it very easy to use.  If you know GDI+ it will be a snap using it.

http://www.pdfsharp.com/
Eric Matson Send private email

I've only been using it for a short time, but iText is great.  There are ports to J# and C# (from Java), it's under active fulltime development, and the devs are responsive to mailing list questions.
bmm6o Send private email

We also use iText and haven't had any problems. However, I've never used anything else so I don't have anything to compare it to.
dood mcdoogle

I'm just finishing up a project using Haru for creating PDFs, which I selected only because it was the first thing I ran across.

http://libharu.sourceforge.net/

It met my needs perfectly, working in C++. It also provides bindings for "Ruby, Delphi/Free Pascal and C# (Microsoft .NET platform)", although I had no need for those. The documentation is extensive and mostly complete, although I did have to do some head scratching to do a proper web link and a compressed font.
Mark Ransom Send private email
Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Just a quick +1 here for iText. Works well and has an active development community.
Scott B Send private email
Wednesday, February 07, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics