The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Interactive wireframing tool?

I want to be able to mock-up wireframe page designs in a drawing tool, then hyperlink those page designs together, so someone could click through them and get a sense of the web app's interaction.

However, I'm having a tough time finding a Windows application that does the drawing part AND the hyperlinking part equally well.

Packages like Microsoft Visio and SmartDraw, or even Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Indesign, actually do what I want as drawing/diagramming/layout tools . . . but they don't really manage hyperlinking a bunch of separate wireframe documents together very well.

Web editors like Dreamweaver, Nvu or (in a pinch) Microsoft FrontPage do the hyperlinking part fine. However, since they're HTML editors, not drawing tools, I can't really mock-up everything I want to mock up. I.e., I dont have the chops to mock-up the ajaxy, web 2.0-ish interactions in an HTML editor.

Any ideas for tools (or workaround processes) that will allow me to create a series of wireframes linked together that a client can click through to get a feel for the eventual application?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
dcgreg Send private email
Friday, January 26, 2007

draw your pictures and stick them in a basic HTML page with an image map?
We've done this before for clients to create a basic click-through "slide show" of what their website is going to look like and it seems to go down well.
G Jones
Friday, January 26, 2007

"If the prototype can do everything the product can do, it might as well *be* the product, and if it can't, it's not much use. Luckily, there's a much better idea..."

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/news/20030516.html
dev1
Friday, January 26, 2007

MT Heart
Saturday, January 27, 2007

Here are a couple programs I've used that are purpose-built for doing mockups:

Lucid Spec: http://www.elegancetech.com/LS.aspx
Caretta Design Studio: http://www.carettasoftware.com/gds/index.html

I've generally preferred Lucid Spec as my first choice, though I haven't used either in a while.  Maybe Caretta has caught up to and surpassed Lucid Spec.

Give 'em a look, they are good tools.
Franklin Send private email
Monday, January 29, 2007

What issues were you running into with the managing of the hyperlinks in SmartDraw?

You can hyperlink text and shapes in SmartDraw, although lines cannot have hyperlinks inserted onto them (I mention that as you are doing wireframe drawings). When you hyperlink to other SmartDraw drawings, you can then export the primary drawing to HTML format and include the other drawings that are linked to it (which is an option in the HTML export dialog). 

Once that is exported, a folder will be created in the directory of your choosing, containing your drawings in both HTML and GIF format (or JPG / PNG if you prefer). Both files are required for the hyperlinks to work when uploading the images to a website.

Feel free to contact SmartDraw Support at: 1-800-817-4243 if you have any further questions.
Alan Hays Send private email
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Microsoft Powerpoint?

I have recieved specs from clients as ppt files, they had buttons that linked to other slides and demo "data".
ISV1
Thursday, February 01, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics