The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Useful or not?

My company is doing a webapp, and I just had some spare time to play around with it a bit.

http://www.xindesk.com/variables.asp

Is this useful or useless, generally speaking?
I find it practical since I'm mostly doing clientside javascripting and this way, I can just continue to do it the same way as I have before on the serverside of things.
Mikael Bergkvist Send private email
Friday, January 26, 2007

Not.
Sgt.Sausage
Friday, January 26, 2007

Anything more specific?
It does take a lot of hassle out of using variables across pageloads, it's just easier than playing around with Session() or Application().
Friday, January 26, 2007

I would call it not useful because the page you link to has no context. People are just being dumped to a page with very little information about what to expect, what it does, or how it is relevant to the average developer.

If you are trying to demo your app, why not create a nice, concise tutorial that people can walk through. Show how your product compares to the development process without your product. Let them compare that experience with their own experience, and go from there.
*myName
Friday, January 26, 2007

Just a further note...

I'm not calling your product not useful. I'm saying that from the page you posted, there is no real way for me to determine if the product is useful or not.

So the page isn't useful, to me anyways.
*myName
Friday, January 26, 2007

I'm not showcasing a product, I'm just trying to have some discussion on this issue.

It's simple enough - global variables retains their values across pageloads, so if you dynamically set x=5  the first time, it's still x=5 the next pageload, and you can change/update it.
Otherwise I would have used Session or Application, and that's a bit messy if are doing stuff like a serverside chessgame with a *lot* of variables and arrays.
On the client these variables/arrays stay the same until I update or remove them, and I wanted this to apply on the serverside.
Saturday, January 27, 2007

I did not look at the example demo.

My first question is, what happens if I have two separate web browsers open to the same page? What happens if I press the back button on one page? What happens if one browser crashes or I inadvertly close it? What if I'm using two separate machines at the same time? What if I had a bug in my IE Javascript implementation?

While I agree that it's possible to accurately maintain state on the client side (which I think is what you're trying to do), you're adding a lot of complexity for very little benefit. If you were working at Google and had all the time in the world to test all of these possible error conditions, I'd say go for it. If you're under a tight deadline and have limited testing resources, it's... easier in the long run to do as much work as possible server side.
TheDavid
Monday, January 29, 2007

"My first question is, what happens if I have two separate web browsers open to the same page?"

You get two different apps working. The variables wont get mixed up. :-)

"What happens if I press the back button on one page?"

The state remains persistent, you can't back out of it, so to speak. :-)

"What happens if one browser crashes or I inadvertly close it?"

The session is lost and the variables with it.

"What if I'm using two separate machines at the same time?"

I'm not sure what you mean, but two visiting browsers generates unique instances every time.

"What if I had a bug in my IE Javascript implementation?"

You dont get it, there are no clientside javascripts.. look at the demo again.. it's all serverside.. all the time.. so it wont matter what bugs IE has, or even if javascripts are allowed to run at all.
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Can we see the source code of variables.asp?
Bill Foecke Send private email
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics