The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Outlook Drag & Drop

I'm not able to find out an article or a reference on how to intercept the drop of an external object (an Outlook mail item in this specific case) on an Access form. Not to mention on how to programmatically access the object from Access VBA.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sevenoaks Send private email
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I still do a ton of access work. Unfortunately, the ONE thing that often comes up is that there is no support for drag and drop. I betting we might get that in the version AFTER 2007!!!

Unfortunately, this kind of means you have to make a button, or option appear in the outlook side. This is not ideal..but I think that is how I would initially approach this problem.

>how to programmatically access the object from Access VBA.

Hum, you could look at the problem this way, .and have access grab the currently focused email, and then process that info. I not thought a lot about this, but it seems possible.

You going to need a reference on the outlook model. It is quite large.

If you in outlook 2003, then you can whack alt-f11…and then while in the code editor..go help->Microsoft visual basic help

The is quite a bit in the above help. However, you might want to pick up a book on VBA for office, since it REALLY helps to have some examples….

I would also ask your question in one of the outlook groups…as they could likely come up with suggestions for the drag and drop (replacement) idea…..

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics