The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Qt + Accessibility: examples?

I am interested in enhancing a client so that it is accessible, primarily from a screen reader POV.

The client is developed using Qt, the control I primarily wish to "accessibilise" is descended from QTextEdit. I have read as much documentation as I can about um well doing this, but it's not immediately apparent what is required.

I think more background on how accessibility works would help as well...

Googling for examples turns up thousands of hits but I'm struggling to find something useful.

Can anyone point me to some examples (simple or otherwise) of using QAccessibleInterface or QAccessible(Object/Widget)?

Thanks
Aaron
Aaron DC Send private email
Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Might I suggest that this is a rather specificy sort of question, and that you could be better off asking on the Qt interest mailing list? I've found that community pretty good in the past.

qt-interest@trolltech.com is the list address, you subscribe by sending a subject of "subscribe" to qt-interest-request@trolltech.com

There's a lot more Qt people there than there probably is here...
Katie Lucas
Wednesday, January 03, 2007

If you are running on Windows, install a copy of the Microsoft Platform SDK. This includes a tool called Accessibility Explorer which will test your solution for compliance.
A

"If you are running on Windows, install a copy of the Microsoft Platform SDK."

I am. And whilst I have a number of blind / visually impaired contacts who can test the app if and when I "accessibilise" it, your suggestion (Accessibility Explorer) may help speed the testing process - thankyou.

Aaron

"There's a lot more Qt people there than there probably is here..."

No doubt. I am happy to try my luck with this forum first. If I really need to get into it I will pursue the avenue you suggest - thanks.

Aaron

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics