The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

PHP (byte-code cached) vs Python Performance?

I'm attempting to find benchmarks to see the performance comparison of using Python vs PHP with eAccelerator (or another byte-code caching system).

Does any know how PHP stacks up to Python with regards to performance with using a byte-code caching system.

The primary use would be for a web based system.
Henry Send private email
Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Are you actually having performance problems? Because, if not, you're wasting time optimizing for the wrong thing.

"You don't have performance problems until you have performance problems"
Matthias W. Send private email

The last time I saw any benchmarks, PHP was actually much faster at most things. This may have changed, but I doubt it.

It really doesn't matter though, Python is fast enough for web programming by a longshot.

When choosing between PHP and Python, I'd focus on which language you like more.
Andrew Murray Send private email

I don't know about PHP with bytecode accelerator, but regular PHP lags behind Python quite a bit in these benchmarks:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/debian/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=php&lang2=python
Herbert Sitz Send private email

In this shootout comparing Symfony (PHP + APC accelerator), Django (Python), and Rails, Django wins by a longshot:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Framework+Performance
Dan Ferrante

It looks like that PHP benchmark in the last link was horribly flawed.

"You can see there were very few successful transactions. Most were “500 – Internal Server Errors” and 192 failed to connect altogether. It looks like the 500 errors were caused by something with Mysql"

WTF.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

"It looks like that PHP benchmark in the last link was horribly flawed."

Yes.  But if you look you'll see that the problems with Symfony/MySQL existed only in the 150 user test.  In the 50 user test that had no such problems, Symfony was quite a bit slower.  Hard to draw any conclusion from 150 user test.
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Symfony is one of the slowest php frameworks.

Benchmarks here http://paul-m-jones.com/blog/?p=238
Simone
Friday, January 05, 2007

Some frameworks impose a lot of overhead. For PHP I suggest CodeIgniter, for Python use Django. Both are very fast. Django runs large newspaper sites.

The slowest bit of your app is going to be database access. So quit worrying whether you want to run Python or PHP.
Chui Send private email
Friday, January 19, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics