The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Email list manager with an API?

I'm working on an application that has to have the ability to programmatically:

* Create new Email lists.
* Add/Remove email addresses to/from those lists.
* Produce reports showing all of the lists and their subscribed email addresses.

I've used Majordomo before and I know there are commandline commands I can invoke with a system() call that meet my requirements (and more), but I was hoping there were other list managers that were more programmer friendly, or just better ways of talking with Majordomo that I'm unaware of.

I'm working primarily in Python and Java but I'd be interested to know what products you've used to solve this problem and how you integrated them into your applications.

thanks!
Freddie
Freddie Send private email
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mailman is all python.  Dunno if it has an API, but you ought to take a look.

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

The license might be a problem though :-(
Cory R. King
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I can only realistically think of three scenarios:

1) A group of people take a P2P approach in sending each other email. I send a note to everyone in my quilting bee, my grandma responds and sends her note to everyone in the same bee.  In such a scenario, we don't need an API as much as we need good email clients and an easy subscribe/unsubscribe mechanism.

2) I'm doing "customer service annoucements" to let people know I've released a new version of my software. In this scenario, I really only need setFlags(), setBody() and sendMail(). 

3) I've written an application that needs to send email "notifications" to a predefined list of people. For example, I'd like to notify everyone in a hospital ward whenever I move a patient there. I would keep the list(s) of users within the application and use the same API as in #2. I would not expect the system to process email sent to the list at large.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but they've got to be niche exceptions by now. Due to the stigma of spam, it's really hard to imagine the general public wanting to set up a true back and forth mailing list anymore. The people that are doing mailing lists still, seem to be very happy with ListServ and MajorDomo, or are contemplating moving to web forums like PHPBB2.

I wish you best of luck with your project, but I think you may need to just focus on making it "grandma-accessable" instead of "developer-toolbox".
TheDavid
Wednesday, December 20, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics