The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Synchronizing two different databases.

I developed an app. using VB.NET and MS Access. The Access MDB has 27 tables. I want to develop the reporting module using VB.NET and MySQL. I want to know that after migrating the Access database to MySQL for the first time, is there any way that the changes in Access database get automatically recorded (synchronized) to its MySQL copy.
K Send private email
Monday, December 11, 2006

Yes, but it's far more work than I would recommend. Most versions of MS Access do not have the capability to open network connections and push data outwards, so you would need to use some sort of middleware solution that watches for changes in Access. Office 2007 may be the exception, but I wouldn't count on it.

A somewhat easier solution is to create a standalone VB program that opens the Access database at 2 AM in the morning and copies the relevant records. Specifically, this is a scheduled activity, not an automatic replication.

I think in the long run, you're better off using some combination of VB.NET and Access' VBA to generate reports directly from Access, than dealing with both the reports and MySQL.
TheDavid

"I want to develop the reporting module using VB.NET and MySQL."

Why?  Why?
Karl Perry Send private email

Does every table in the MDB have a column that records the date/time the record was added, and the date/time the record was changed? Does your synch process table indicate the time it last started?

If your answers to the above have 1 or more NO, then there is no simple way to do what you want.

How dependable/reliable does this need to be? Does it need to be able to recover from outages? Like when the network goes down?
http://cherinet.brinkster.net/images/illfixit.jpg
Peter

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics