The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Multimedia & Game Container and Distribution

We are developing some multimedia content and games all of which will be part of one software.

We are actively considering Flash for the this job.
Product will be packaged and sold on CDs.

My question is, do we use Flash all the way? Or should we use a VB or VC interface to contain all of the multimedia work.

Does it make any difference? Since i am not from flash world i dont know how the licencing will be applied there.

How would you do this?
anon Send private email
Monday, December 11, 2006

If it's Flash it will run on Macs.
Pragmatique
Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Yes but a lot of people don't like Flash. By the same token, a lot of people don't like Java or can't find a good enough JVM.

Unless you're explictly setting out to make a Flash-killer, I would recommend that you focus on one platiform first - develop a couple of games, build up some word of mouth and sales before you worry about making it run on every reasonable operating system out there. (Making a good first game is difficult enough without trying to solve every single problem along the way.)

When the time comes, you'll be much more comfortable with Java+custom JREs or OpenGL or wxWidgets or Qt or any of the other portable technologies.
TheDavid
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics