The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What do you think of Ultimate++?

Have you any experience with this free BSD licensed C++ IDE and library?
http://www.ultimatepp.org/

I'd appreciate your views and opinions on it.

Thanks,
KC
KC Kia
Sunday, December 10, 2006

It looks nice, but I'm so tired of C++ frameworks that re-invent the wheel. Ultimate++ contains its own string class and container classes instead of using the STL.

The authors are aware of the criticism and defend it (they don't like the STL because objects stored in containers must have copy constructors, which they feel is impractical for GUI widgets).

However, it was the lack of Mac support that finally pushed it off my evaluation list.
Nate Silva Send private email

I looked at it very briefly when it was first released, but quickly grew too tired of wading through the gushing hype looking for content to evaluate it properly.
Iago

> they don't like the STL because objects stored in containers must have copy constructors, which they feel is impractical for GUI widgets

I think you work-around that by having the containers contain elements which are reference-counting pointers to whatever type it is that has no copy contructor.
Christopher Wells Send private email

Their documentation sucks too. The documentation that they do have is hard enough to find in the first place, never mind the content of their docs.

Their IDE is silly too, I've no idea how to add a new file to an empty project.
Noishe Feargus Send private email
Tuesday, December 12, 2006

After some more deep testing with U++ I think that it's the best GUI framework that I've seen.

The first impression that they've re-invented the wheel is fastly thrown away seeing how the things work with U++, everything is made simple.

The only thing that I think they can improve (in the library) is the integration of their classes with STL ones ( example: convert a upp String to a stl string in a easy way ), because sometimes we need to use U++ with other libraries that depend on the STL.

The documentation also is a point that is still missing, but I think that this can be easly solved by volunteers to write docs.
Filipe
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It still needs a lot of work on Linux.  I found a dozen major flaws on 5 minutes including:

- Only opens on display0.
- Menus are in the upper left corner regardless of where the IDE window is.
- Mouse clicks don't work on many of the dialog boxes.

I think I'll stick with Qt/KDE using QtDesigner/KDevelop.
Steve Moyer Send private email
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Hi,

somebody called my name here? :)

<i>
- Only opens on display0.
- Menus are in the upper left corner regardless of where the IDE window is.
- Mouse clicks don't work on many of the dialog boxes.
</i>

display0 - yes, that is true. Nobody complained so far, but I guess something to fix.

But I am not sure about other bugs. Can you be more specific? If there are problems, please report them (here, to U++ email or in the U++ forum), we will be happy to fix them (in worst case, we can add them to ToDo list :).

Well, the main development platform for U++ is ubuntu/gnome and at this point (latest dev version), I think we are at the level of integration similar to that achieved by OpenOffice or FireFox. It is possible that things get broken in different WMs. It is also possible you have not checked the latest dev version...

Mirek Fidler, U++ team
Mirek Fidler Send private email
Wednesday, December 20, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics