The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Microsoft Office(the new one) customize UI

Doing the manual install on the new office reveals a poorly designed UI. It looks like something out of Windows 3.1. And it doesnt make much sense or rather, not very intuitive.
Have posted it on http://mypage.iu.edu/~aashok/MSOffice/
Arvind Ashok Send private email
Wednesday, November 29, 2006

That looks the same as the (MSI) install UI for the previous few versions. What exactly is wrong with it?
John Topley Send private email

Yes, that UI's been around for a while. The first time I encountered it, I also found it a little confusing. But I'm used to it now, so I can't really articulate why...
Mike S. Send private email

I do not understand what the shaded portion refers to and the unshaded. I havent seen this before - the UI. Whats wrong with simple check boxes?
Learning to live with a stupid UI vs a good intuitive UI that doesnt require scratching your head is pretty much what am bugged about.
Arvind

Just put your mouse pointer over one of the boxes (or right-click).

That interface has been around several years now, and is typical of most of the InstallShield installer based (and MSI based) setups.

Ken
KenW

I've always hated that interface. I find it non-intuitive as well.
Nick Hebb Send private email

I've never like it either. The first time I saw it was on an IBM installation program almost 8 years ago. It is very confusing. Clicking on the drop down arrow just gives you a list of options that themselves are quite confusing. "This option will be installed. This option will not be installed." and other such nonsense. Actually, I'm surprised that it has lasted this long.
dood mcdoogle

Doesn't shaded mean that that feature is partially installed? You can expand it to find out the details and change it.
John Topley Send private email

It's pretty sad that people actually find something this old confusing.  The install has been that way since Microsoft Office 97 (I just checked).  It's been that way for every version of Office since (97, 2000, XP, 2003).  This is the fifth version to use it.  Have you been using Corel WordPerfect Office or Lotus SmartSuite all this time (does SmartSuite still exist?).

Why are you waiting until 10 years later to complain about something that's been around forever?

White = Installed to Hard Drive
Grey = Partially Installed (Expand & Check)
Red "X" = Feature Not Installed
Yellow (Something, I forget) = Install on First Use

It's not rocket science.  Well, It's definitely not "new" ither.

- Nate.
Nate Send private email
Thursday, November 30, 2006

No, it's pretty sad that a POS installer interface like this is being foisted on paying customers.  That's what's sad.

Friday, December 01, 2006

"No, it's pretty sad that a POS installer interface like this is being foisted on paying customers.  That's what's sad."

Don't buy it then. Nobody's 'foisting' it on anybody.

I've no trouble understanding it. And anyway, it's only the installer, so you only have to get confused/angry or whatever once.

I think some people have too much time on their hands. There's a lot more to get upset about than this.
Alvin Rhodes
Sunday, December 03, 2006

Ugh, can't believe they haven't changed that.  Hundreds of options and only a tiny little viewport in which to navigate.  I'll bet the window isn't resizeable either.
Matt Foley
Monday, December 04, 2006

its apologists like two people who commented in this column that are the problem, not the people who realize something is wrong.
there is no reason to put up with bad design and if the argument is "dont buy it then", thats not very smart. Thats the reason why apple has something called customer loyalty while microsoft does not.
Friday, December 08, 2006

Run away. Buy an Apple then (if it's so good), don't use Windows, use Linux, write your own operating system. Anything but FFS STOP BLOODY WHINING.

Nobody anywhere is forcing you to use this stuff. You're talking about the frigging installer. You'll use it ONCE. Why is it such a bloody problem? It works doesn't it? Office gets installed doesn't it?

Looks to me like you're an idiot MS Hater who is desperate to complain about something.

Get out and get a life, but stop moaning about something that works just cause you don't like the look of it.

Jesus F****** Christ
Alvin Rhodes
Saturday, December 09, 2006

stupid apologist
Sunday, December 10, 2006

rhodes, you dont have anything positive or useful to say. why are you even reading this? to act smart by finding fault in other people's comments. i am sure you have a lot of smart, positive and helpful things to say in team meetings... NOT. so, shut it and go somewhere else if you cant comment in a civilized manner
Sunday, December 10, 2006

OK. So what did Microsoft say when you wrote to them commenting on your unhappiness about the installer?

Oh, you didn't tell them you thought it was bad? Exactly.

I'm willing to bet that you don't invest anything like the amount that MS do in usability testing. But perhaps if you wrote to them telling them you don't like it they might listen. Perhaps.

You have a choice. Use it/don't use it. Read my posts/don't read my posts. Get in a rage/don't get in a rage.

You came here whinging about the installer. Personally I find it easy to understand and easy to use. I don't have a problem with it. The design of it is just fine, for me.

There, you've got your answer.
Rhodes.
Monday, December 11, 2006

I dont want an answer from you. I want you to shut up in here. go somewhere else. why would i want an answer from someone who has nothing useful to say
Arvind
Monday, December 11, 2006

A major theme at JOS is attention to customers wants and needs and the importance of design.

People like Rhodes aren't going to gain much from these forums, people like Arvind are.

Saying that because you only use it once, it doesn't matter is just like saying that packaging doesn't matter.
Sheepshagger
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What was the point of his post? Eh? Go on, answer me that.

He came here saying the design of the UI of the MS office installer was bad.

He hasn't done anything about it has he? Has he communicated his unhappines to MS? Has he switched to another office suite with a better UI for the installer? Has he written his own installer? I don't think he's done any of those things.

Nope, he came here to bleat, moan and whine, at that popular target, Microsoft. And he expected that everybody else would go along with him. And join him in his whinge fest. Misery loves company, and all that.

Well, guess what, I think the MS installer interface is just fine. I understand it and it works.

And I'm just NOT going to confirm his stupid little man tirade against big nasty Microsoft.

The installer for Office is about the last thing I can imagine anybody getting upset about.

He has learnt something from this forum. That a lot of people simply don't give a damn about the office installer.

Grow up.
Alvin Rhodes
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

i dont use office anymore. I have mailed MS. The only sad thing is you remain a stupid jerk who doesnt learn. and the one who has to grow up. unfortunately for you, you dont listen to other people smarter than you and wont grow up. good for you. now shut up.
Thursday, December 14, 2006

you actually strike me as the jerk who will nod his head when someone famous says something and if someone else does something similar, act yourself.
Rhodes is dumb
Thursday, December 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics