The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Migrating data to Oracle 10g

Hi,

This is a query on migrating data from Oracle 8i/9i installed on a single server

We need to migrate this daya to Oracle 10g in RAC / Dell server/Redhat ES linux.

Source: Oracle 9i - DB in Single server
Destination:Oracle 10g - 2 servers in RAC - Standard Edition - RH ES Linux 3.0/4.0

We don't have Redhat GFS.

I would appreciate, if you may please clarify on the questions below

1. Can oracle cluster file system be used for installing DB
  in 2 servers instead of Redhat GFS?

2. The old system has its data stored in Solaris file system (UFS - I guess)...the DBA has told that it is NOT possible to migrate data from UFS to (Oracle 10g RAC - ASM).

Can you please help me with information for the points mentioned above..thanks a lot !!!!
Victor Send private email
Saturday, November 25, 2006

You probably just need a logical backup with exp, and then import with imp.
Anonymous Coward
Sunday, November 26, 2006

2 server RAC? Rather an unusual configuration, there.
David Aldridge Send private email
Monday, November 27, 2006

The DBA is partially correct.

Deploying a "single" database to a Real Application Cluster is not a trivial, straightforward undertaking. Right now, the best analogy I can think of is something along these lines...

Picture an extended family living in a big old house on a farm, with a single kitchen, single set of laundry facilities, common TV room, etc etc. You decide to sell the farm, and decide to move to a major metropolis such as Boston and buy what is essentially an apartment building; each floor is a self contained unit and you plan to move your grandparents into the ground floor unit, your parents and little brother will take the middle unit, and you and your sister will share the top floor. While moving the bedroom sets is easy, you'll still have to figure out who gets what kitchen appliances, dishes and flatware.

I'm grossly oversimplifying the issue, but the contents of your database probably can't be cleanly and easily divided up for a cluster, with the press of a button.

My understanding that it's just enough work that people generally don't bother making an actual RAC out of two servers. +1 to David Aldridge. The more likely scenario is you have one server acting as a single primary, and the other server acting as a failover secondary.

Under that scenario (primary and secondary), +1 to Anonymous Coward; you can more or less export-import to each server and then schedule replication to keep them in synch.
TheDavid
Monday, November 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics