The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Email pop3 question

Is there a way to retreive emails from windows 2003 pop3 server using asp or asp.net?
Mikael Bergkvist Send private email
Sunday, October 29, 2006

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, every modern language has a way of doing this.
KC Send private email
Sunday, October 29, 2006

KC, That's not appropriate. Please stop posting like that.
Robert Buff
Sunday, October 29, 2006

>>Yes, to the best of my knowledge, every modern language has a way of doing this.

Well, it's partially true and partially wrong :) You can definitely do this in most of the languages but there is no inherent support. You probably have to look up for libraries that do POP3 e.g .NET doesn't give you an API to do POP3 though SMTP is supported. So in .net IndySockets is one such option.
oxff Send private email
Sunday, October 29, 2006

Robert,

I answered the question accurately to the best of my knowledge.  Unfortunately, this looks more like a homework question than anything else.

If his question had been "I've tried X and Y, but they don't seem to work... any ideas?", then I would have kept my mouth shut and/or used Google to search on something complicated like "pop3 .net" and found the results I just saw.
KC Send private email
Monday, October 30, 2006

We certainly do not want to get a reputation for being an agressive community - or one where the people who take the time to respond to questions fall out.

There is an issue here though. This question would have been much better "asked" by typing it into a Google search box than posting it here. Having completed that task, it might have made sense to post a question on this forum for advice on using X as against Y. Otherwise contributors to this forum are being asked to do someone else's Google search instead of for the expert advice and experience that they so readily pass on to others.
Mike Griffiths Send private email
Monday, October 30, 2006

To my knowledge there is no COM or .NET API available for Windows 2003 POP3 mail server. I believe the only way to access/retrieve mails from the POP3 server is using some POP3 client. You could write you own .NET POP3 client component according to the current RFC at http://www.ietf.org/ , or you can buy one.

Also try search http://www.codeproject.com/ for POP3 and you will find many sample applications implement a POP3 client.

A third option, assuming you are trying to make some sort of Webmail client/front-end to the Windows 2003 POP3 server, is to use one of the may solutions available, both freeware and commercial, and just configure the accounts to use your Windows 2003 POP3 server.

And then a last note, the windows 2003 POP3 Server, is a very simple POP3 mail server that just picks up mail form the file based SMTP server. So it relies on Windows 2003 SMTP server for receiving mail. The windows 2003 SMTP server is also very simple, and lacks essential security/virus/relay/ect. functionality.  Sending mail is done directly from the client through the SMTP server. All in all I would not recommend neither the Windows 2003 POP3 or the SMTP server for any commercial solution, in their out-of-the-box setup/configuration.
ThMoJe
Monday, October 30, 2006

I should have asked if there's a interface there already, or if I had to buy something, or write it myself.
I used to use a commercial swedish component, but I got tired of it since I oly need the most basic functionality.
Since there's a very basic pop3 present in windows 2003 I thought maybe there was something laying around that I had missed, simply because sometimes microsoft has the wierdest things layin around hidden somewhere..
Mikael Bergkvist Send private email
Monday, October 30, 2006

Here is a link that might help you out:

http://www.programurl.com/pivo-pop3-component.htm
Justin Silverton Send private email
Friday, November 24, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics