The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Beta Testing System Help

Hi Guys

Do any of you have a specific computer setup with all veriations of windows to test software in?

I'm thinking of buying VMWare.. or using the free VirtualPC by MS.  but I cant offord to buy every flavor of windows and all other program combinations to test my software..

Whats an alternative to this?

So I cant test my software just enough to make sure it would work or at least startup fine in most environments to be able to distribute it to a few hundred people for free so that I can get some feedback.  I released it here last week but it was so crippled with startup bugs that were not apparent in the other 5 computers I tested on that I was unable to get enough people to be willing to test it out.

Please help..  I need to make it stable enough to rollout a Beta..  we can call the other one an Alpha release ;)

I'm sorry of Im posting about the same topic again.  Please dont flame me.  I just need some help.
Stucko
Sunday, October 29, 2006

I admire your persistence!

"buy every flavor of windows"

If you are going to do this professionally, you need to at least have a copy of 2000 & XP. Aren't these cheap enough on ebay?
Ignore this post if you've already got this much covered.
James Lee Send private email
Sunday, October 29, 2006

>> Please dont flame me.  I just need some help. <<

Are you seriously saying that that you can't afford Empower or MSDN?
Mark Pearce Send private email
Sunday, October 29, 2006

+1 for the Empower program.

You get all OS'es also in foreign languages + Virtual Pc.  Also I think the other company that makes a similar product made it free last year.

All the best
override
Monday, October 30, 2006

MSDN or Empower, no doubt
Sevenoaks Send private email
Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Don't know about you but I can no longer download anything older than Windows XP from MSDN - fine if you've got the DVDs but if you're a new subscriber you're out of luck.
John C Send private email
Tuesday, October 31, 2006

If you're going to develop/deploy software in any sort of professional manner you're going to have to get the tools to do some reasonable testing.

Virtual PC is ok and can get you by, but if you have the cash, VMWare is totally worth it.  Additionally, you have to at least test the software on Win2K and XP.  If you feel like being really anal, test against both XP Home and Pro.  Beyond that you're talking about testing against Win2K Server, Win2003 Server, Enterprise Server, WebServer, and now potentially Vista in all its flavors. 

Its generally a bad idea to dev for a platform you can't test on.  If you can't afford the software or one of the  simple MSDN memberships, "borrow" the software from a friend who's not using it to install in the VPC and test.  One way or the other you have to find a way to test on the appropriate platform.
Martin Beechen Send private email
Thursday, November 02, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics