The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Is there a Web Based .Net Framework installer?

something that will determine which version of .net you need if you want to put .net 2.0 on your system it determines the langauge version you need and so on.. and downloads and installs it from microsoft.. ???

that way if I distribute english version of .net with my app.. it migh screw up someone thats useing say a Japanese version of win xp..
Stucko
Sunday, October 29, 2006

Ummmm.... Windows Updates?
anon
Sunday, October 29, 2006

In the long run, you really want to discourage people from installing binary executables directly from a web page.

Even Microsoft is transitioning Windows Update from Internet Explorer to a true Control Panel applet in Vista. I suspect their real motives were to make it harder to avoid Windows Genuine Advantage, but the various ActiveX security issues has to be in the back of their minds.

I think your best option is to make your software require Vista as Microsoft has strongly hinted that .NET will be bundled into Vista.

If you want to service the XP market, put a link to .NET on your download page and require that they go to Microsoft and get whatever version they need first. In your program installer, test for the .NET framework, and if they don't have it, give them the link again.

Ideally, I'd like to see you rewrite your application or compile it in such a way that it doesn't explicitly require .NET.
TheDavid
Sunday, October 29, 2006

My installer currently downlaods and installs the .net 2.0 framework if its not available on the users system.

but It only does the US english version of the .net framework..
im thinking it would mess up users system if they happened to be using another language or need another version of the .net 2.0 framework.

is there a list of all available .net 2.0 framwwork installations for different languages and scenarios?

maybe I can script it into my installer and have it download and insdtall the correct one determined based on users system config.

i use Inno Setup..  and currently only downlaods and installs 2.0 .net for english US if not already present on users system.
Stucko
Monday, October 30, 2006

I think having your installer automatically download and install .NET is more trouble than it's worth.

Among other things, you are now responsible for making sure the installer puts the correct version in, it doesn't conflict with whatever the user has installed previously, and most importantly, guaranteeing that your software works with it.

If Microsoft changes something, and I download your software, and I click "install", I'm blaming YOU for anything and everything that goes wrong between the time I click install and it tells me its finished.

If it can't download .NET, I'm blaming you.

If it downloads the wrong .NET, I'm blaming you.

If it crashes while installing .NET, I'm blaming you.

If my computer reboots and never comes back, I'm blaming you.

If it makes my computer unstable and/or breaks something else, I'm blaming you.

Get the idea?

If on the other hand you tell me I need .NET and you make it my responsibility to get it, download it and install it, then I'll blame Microsoft if it doesn't work right.

I appreciate you trying to make things as easy as possible for the user, but quite simply put - you have no control over what Microsoft will do with their .NET downloads. Don't assume any responsibility for them.

Simply state what your requirements are and let the user deal with them.
TheDavid
Monday, October 30, 2006

I don't understand all of this "wrong version" stuff with .NET. There is only one "version" of the framework itself and then you are expected to optionally install the language packs. I don't think that you will "mess up their system" by simply installing the core .NET framework without their specific language pack. Your application may not work as expected (no chinese character support for example) but it shouldn't "mess up their system". You could then just point them to the language packs and tell them if they need foreign language support to just go download and install it themselves.

But I also agree with the other poster who said that you should probably not try to get it installed yourself. Let them install it if possible otherwise you end up supporting Microsoft's .NET installation and anything that happens ends up being your fault.
anon
Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Of couse, by "one version" in the above post, I am not talking about versions like 1.0, 1.1, 2.0. I'm saying that for a given "version" of the framework (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) there is only one "version" of the core install.  ;)
anon

Yes. Use the Microsoft Component Installer. It is a setup program that can download and install many useful components on the target computer. Total size 564k and two files: Setup.exe and PSetup.ini.  You modify the .ini file to include one or more desired components: .Net Framework, MDAC, DirectX, Windows Installer, and SQL Server Express.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms994369.aspx
Easy as pie

Thanks for the tip.

It's kind of interesting to see that Microsoft doesn't indicate (on that page) whether you should bundle it into your installer, or simply launch it as an external program.

I remember in the old days, when you wanted to install a game that required DirectX, the game would install itself first, then call PSetup and quietly exit while PSetup then handled installing DirectX.

Has that philosophy changed?
TheDavid

easy as pie,

is there a .net 2.0 version of that installer sdk?

cant it be modified to do 2.0 download and install?  how?
Stucko
Sunday, November 05, 2006

> I think your best option is to make your software require Vista as Microsoft has strongly hinted that .NET will be bundled into Vista.

... unless of course, you want to have paying customers -
Giggle
Monday, November 06, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics