The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Associate a File .LLL with my software

HI guys,,

i need to associate a file .LLL with my program and have my program process some functions by importing the file when the program is opened by doubleclicking on the file type..

I cant find any tutorials on this.. please help

how can this be done?

I need to associate my License File.. so that when i emailit to user.. all they have to do is doubelcikc it  and it will auto load into my program and activate the full functionality..  to make it user friendly.  now i have it as goto  help >>> activate >>  borowse for license file >>

try explaining that to a computer novice. :)  doubleclick is easier :)
Stucko
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I think it's actually easier to explain to the user to copy the file somewhere, such as the install directory, or even browse as you're currently doing.

Once you get into file associations, you need to account for all of the use cases...what if some other program changes the association, etc.

FWIW, I like the way Borland does it. The license file is in plaintext, and it includes the key. You place the file in your profile's root directory, and it's done. A two page doc with a couple of screenshots makes it unambiguous for newbies, grandma's, etc.
*myName

And then 2 programs claim ".LLL" (or .lic or .license) and one can't ever be registered. And you clutter the file association list with a file type that your users never care about.  ;)

Other options:

Make it an executable that self-installs. If you follow official practises so that "add/remove applications" works, then you've already got a registry key you can use to track down the correct location, and you can define your own key anyway, so the installer leaves behind instructions for installing the license.

Installing a small amount of data to a registry key would work, too.

If the "purchase" functionality is built in to the app, then you can install the license before you finish.

"Double click on this file" definately beats 2 pages of "clear" instructions, because 1 line is much less reading and thinking than people really want to bother with. Unless they're geeks who've never gotten laid.  ;)

And, really, an IDE and compiler (and associated tools) isn't really an ideal model to follow for the vast majority of end-user applications.

Uh, did you try Google?  If you couldn't find the answer to such a basic question like this, how did you manage to develop the rest of your application?
SomeBody
Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics