The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Disassemblers

I recently came across .NET Reflectors, Disassemblers. This has been arround for Java for ages. Nice... But...

I have 2 concerns here...

1) What stops an 'enterprising' coder from disassembling my code and remaking the entire app in a few hours ? The app which my developers spent an year on...

2) What about security? Holes in my app which were apparenlty hidden earlier will now need to be addressed... So thats good in a way but...
TechRodent
Wednesday, October 11, 2006

1) A good obfuscator used properly will increase the disassembly difficulty factor towards that of native code.

2) This is a good thing from your customers' point of view.
Mark Pearce Send private email

2) This is a good thing from your customers' point of view.

^^^^ Please explain.
Arafangion Send private email

"good for your customers" in that "security holes that WERE HIDDEN will get closed".

It's BAD when there's a hidden security hole.  How long will it stay hidden?  Who will find it first, the white-hats or the black-hats?
AllanL5

That's correct. Exposing any kind of defect early is better than exposing it later. That's almost a universal truth; it's why we have typecheckers in our compilers.
Wouter Lievens Send private email
Wednesday, October 18, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics