The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Virtual PC question

I know this might be a dumb question but is it safe to allow the formatting of C: when Windows 200 is setting up on the Virtual PC?  I assum this is just a "virtual" C: but I just wanted to double check before I do it.  Thanks.
Anon Send private email
Thursday, October 05, 2006

Yeah - you're safe. When installing into the VPC it's working from and only going to format the virtual drive.
--Josh

It's not a bad idea to run Virtual PC in a window instead of full-screen to reduce this kind of confusion.
Kyralessa Send private email

Another tip - set the screen background in the VPC to a different color.
Also a good idea for servers you login to over remote desktop.
Martin Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

one place I worked had separate background images for each server.  It was a simple BMP that listed the Server Name, IP Address and 1 or 2 other important bits of info.

When using RDC or even a KVM, it was a great way to tell what machine you were on.
Eric D. Burdo Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

==>Another tip - set the screen background in the VPC to a different color.

Yeah -- I second the other poster. I have a separate .bmp for each machine that tells me what machine I'm on and I tend to color code the background (red = ThisClient, Blue = ThatClient, purple = HomeMachine, green = WorkMachines, etc.)

I do this not only with VMs, but the actual machines themselves as I'm often times remoting in via Terminal Services, Citrix, PC Anywhere, et. al. and I'll have half a dozen sessions open to different boxes, a couple of VMs open and my host desktop. Color coding and bitmap on the desktop really (REALLY) help out with this.
Sgt.Sausage
Friday, October 06, 2006

green => test system
red => LIVE SYSTEM.

Lifesaver :)
Husker Send private email
Saturday, October 07, 2006

Cymen
Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thank you - I hadn't seen that, mark+bryce to the rescue again.
ps. Always have the admin/root background set to red.
Martin Send private email
Sunday, October 08, 2006

I tend to use a different theme on each system I use, so I can immediately tell which one I'm remoted to.

I do like the idea of a red background on a live server though. :)
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email
Monday, October 09, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics