The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What is good software architecture?

How do you think? I was recently asked this question. I thought it is a good topic for an article.
Denis Krukovsky Send private email
Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's a bit like asking "what is beautiful?" - it depends on the context and the eye of the beholder.

But that hasn't stopped art critics, so I say go for it.
Damien Thirst
Friday, October 06, 2006

Simple. Consistent. A good software architecture applied to the right situation proves itself when its components are implemented easily and work well.
Ben Bryant
Friday, October 06, 2006

A good software architecture is one in that it is very easy to build additions on, or develop reports against.  It is responsive and is very user friendly.
J.B. Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

A good software architecture, is an architecture that makes all stakeholders happy. That is:...
The end users are happy :-)
The owners who pays for the software are happy :-)
The project managers are happy :-)
The developers are  :-)
The testers are  :-)
The people running the software in production are happy  :-)
The support people are happy :-)
Everyone else are happy too  :-)

ThMoJe
ThMoJe Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

"What is good software architecture?" is like asking which way does a clock turn, clockwise or counter clock wise. It depends on your perspective.
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

If they are working on an information system that is database intensive, they have to understand the database and be smart enough to work with the DBAs.

if they ignore the database, fire them. They will cost you alot of money.
Contractor
Friday, October 06, 2006

Interesting thing here is that we can get two both successful architects who will insist each that his architecture is the way to go, not the other's.
Denis Krukovsky Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

"Interesting thing here is that we can get two both successful architects who will insist each that his architecture is the way to go, not the other's."

This simply proves that there typically is no one "right" architecture for any given situation.

What would be important to me, if I were employing these two architects, is that each is willing to understand the reasons the other thinks his is "best" for the situation, and to be willing to incorporate others' ideas into his design.
Karl Perry Send private email
Friday, October 06, 2006

This is very subjective question,
I do not remember who once said :

"Taste, is the enemy of art .."  ;-)
// SamiraSoft
Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Jim Coplien once said that while Taste is subjective, Beauty is not.
Wouter Lievens Send private email
Wednesday, October 18, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics