The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

New Daylight Time rules for US in 2007 - what needs to change?

This is for Linux systems.

I assume we need new time zone definition files.

The Python pytz library has its own files, and the latest ones seem to be correct.

Here is site describing the change:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html

Here's what the site says:

Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time is extended one month and begins for most of the United States at:
2 a.m. on the Second Sunday in March
to
2 a.m. on the First Sunday of November.

The new starts and stop dates were set in the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

So it begins March 11, 2007.

As far as the update, we can use yum (Fedora Core systems) and apt-get (Debian systems) for our updates and certainly have the smarts to run manual systems as well.
dot for this one
Wednesday, October 04, 2006

We need to change the system responsible for inflicting DST on us.  DST is a dumb anachronism that we'd all be better off without.
mONKEY fUEL
Thursday, October 05, 2006

>We need to change the system responsible for inflicting DST on us.  DST is a dumb anachronism that we'd all be better off without.<

let us know when you get that changed.

thanks.
starving coder

NO!!!  DST isn't the problem.  DST is what gives us _light_ in the summer.  What we need to change is that stupid time of year when we go _off_ Daylight Savings Time and go back to living in darkness.

If we stayed on DST all winter, we'd at least get a bit of sunlight at the end of the day.  Instead, the clock shifts such that it's dark when we drive to work and dark when we drive home again.  We should keep DST all year.

(We did keep it all year one year, didn't we?  I remember I was in seventh or eighth grade; guess it must've been winter of '87-'88 or '88-'89.  I remember it because it was really really dark while waiting for the bus in the morning.)
Kyralessa Send private email

I remember a year in the 70's (during the oil embargo, I believe) when we used DST year round.
Steve Moyer Send private email

I don't think that's the one I'm remembering, because I would've been about 0 then.  Actually, I might be mistaken; it might just be that it was really dark because it was the dead of winter and I wasn't used to waiting for the school bus that early.
Kyralessa Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics