The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Software Engineering Jargons

Hello everybody,

I am starting my software career. The current company in which I am working has many experienced project managers and leads. In the meetings I hear about many technical words they use while talking. For example "vertical Layer" or "Vertical Cut". I want to learn all these techincal jargons. Can anybody help me out here..any websites..books??

thanks
Peter
Thursday, September 28, 2006

Perhaps:
* Bring a notepad to the meetings
* Note any jargon that you hear that you'd like to have clarified
* Ask someone about it after the meeting: "what did he/you mean when he/you said 'vertical layer'?"
Christopher Wells Send private email

I don't think such a source exists...

For every term that is generally widely understood, some marketing-type, hr-drone, or clueless PHB is going to use it to mean what he wants to mean.

Oh, and often developers are just as bad.  I think that's why we're seeing such wide acceptance of Design Patterns.  Even if you don't implement the concepts, it builds a common vocabulary.
KC Send private email

+1 for ask someone

It's shows that you were listening and are eager to learn!
Mike S Send private email

+1 again for 'ask someone'.

Someone might be able to point you to an (incomplete) SE jargon list a la The Jargon File ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon_File ), but some of what you're hearing is undoubtedly specific to your company or the industry(ies) your software is serving.  _That_ you can only get through experience or asking.
a former big-fiver Send private email

The one you need to remember:  TLA

stands for 'Three Letter Acronym"
Another Anonymous Coward

Dilbert?
Mellowman Send private email

-5 for ask someone.  wee.. I win..

jot down notes and use google :)

then when you go to the meeting, while they use the terms just jump up and yell out the definition.

Will make you look supersmart with a slight case of the terrat syndrom.

ok fine..  +1 for ask someone.  alright..  were now at -2.
HTML

Another +1 for ask someone.

You'd probably be able to look up about half the acronyms and slang you hear, but it's amazing how individual projects develop their own lexicon.
Steve Moyer Send private email
Friday, September 29, 2006

"The current company in which I am working has many experienced project managers..."

Project Managers (should!) all speak one language.  The reason PMI took off is because it defined the dictionary for project management.  There is a $20 book available, the Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (a.k.a. "Guide to the PMBOK") that may help you out.  If your Project Managers speak a different language then they would have that defined elsewhere, and you could correlate that to PMI jargon.  And if they don't have their unique definitions defined, well, run for the hills, because "a task" may be one hour to one person and a whole mini-project to someone else.

As for SW Engineering jargon, unless it's industry standards, then they will differ from place to place.  Pull company manuals and ask occasional questions (yet another +1!).  +5 if you ask a question pertaining to information gathered from a company manual!
Drew Send private email
Friday, September 29, 2006

The Microsoft Lexicon is a must-read

http://cinepad.com/mslex.htm

Nothing like being able to say FYIV to get your day going.
i enjoy a tasty brew Send private email
Tuesday, October 03, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics