The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

30Day Trial Period End - Kill App or Cripple it?

Hi Guys,

What decision is best?

after 30 days from first use of app should i make the application output content with all my linksing / information on any image output and content? or should i make it stop working at all..  after the 30day trial period ends.

Need a bit of advice.

What advice would you give other than the choices above?
MurderTrial
Saturday, September 23, 2006

More information re: your product would be very helpful, but from what you have said, I would ALWAYS have your watermark or logo appearing on any image output or content when the product is in trial period.

At 30 days I would be inclined to have the application not work at all.

This of course depends on how complex the application is and how often the typical user is likely to use it.

HTH
Aaron
Aaron DC Send private email

Depends on the application. What does it do?
Monkey Brains

My suggestion: track the usage pattern of the application. If the application was used very heavily, then disable it entirely. If the usage was sporadic, then cripple it. The idea is to maximise the chances that the user will actually buy the app.
Arun RV

Option 3: Don't disable any functionality, but start pestering the user incessantly. This is the WinZip/TextPad model, and I think it has worked out very well for them.
BenjiSmith Send private email

I don't know anyone who's paid for Winzip. And I know lots of people who have it.
Roger

So Kill App after 30 days?

if so whats the best way to store trial date tracking for the start date of the trail?
Trial

Seriously.  Let someone else do it. ASProtect, Armadillo, EXECryptor just to name a few. They will compress the application, reducing download time / bandwidth and add some trial-protecting bits n pieces far more effective than what you should be able to program.

If your software is popular, someone will crack it, no matter what you do.

The summary of recent discussions seems to be:
* don't waste time trying to protect the software yourself,
* watch the warez / cracks sites and blacklist shared licenses
* release a new version when someone cracks the current one.

HTH
Aaron
Aaron DC Send private email

>I don't know anyone who's paid for Winzip.
I've paid for it, and my (current) employer paid for a site license for version 9. Most of my past employers have not paid for it.
Peter
Sunday, September 24, 2006

I asked my employer for TextPad and WinZip licenses (about $30 each), and they gladly bought them for me.

I'll agree with you that home users rarely, if ever, pay for shareware apps. But in the workplace, it's not as uncommon as you think.
BenjiSmith Send private email
Monday, September 25, 2006

Free Trials are about marketing so in all probability you want to maximise the effective sales generated by each trial and not to "punish" potential customers.

Why not offer an "extension" to the free trial with the user having to phone or email (whichever is most cost effective for you) to request an extension and get some sort of "pass code".

Now your trial user has a positive experience and a choice when the trial comes to an end. I would suggest this is likely to increase your conversion rate.
Mike Griffiths Send private email
Tuesday, September 26, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics