The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Quick question about Dreamweaver?

What is it written in (Java/C++)?
anonymous_coward
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Certainly not Java.
--Josh

QBasic
Nathan Ridley Send private email

Probably Ada...
Jason Moore Send private email
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Originally, it was written in C++, using MFC, but maybe that's changed by now.
Anonymous

Actually seriously I think it runs on C++ like the previous poster said, but a lot of the actual business UI logic runs on an embedded javascript engine.
Nathan Ridley Send private email

Thanks for the response guys ... I was just curious because it runs so slowly that I thought it might be written in Java.
anonymous_coward
Thursday, September 21, 2006

ColdFusion is coded in Java, or rather, large chunks of their "library" tasks are coded in Java. If you've got the ColdFusion plugin for Dreamweaver, it is somewhat possible that it's running slow because it keeps querying the Java objects.

I think it's far more likely that either...

a) your computer is under powered,

b) you're working with a very large project,

or c) you're forcing Dreamweaver to do a lot of look-ups, refactors, type-aheads, cross references, etc instead of doing it yourself or planning ahead.

Err...  I sound negative, but quite honestly, Dreamweaver ran blazingly fast on my PowerPC Mac Mini with 512 MB of RAM and also running ColdFusion, Apache and MySQL, and this is with a project of about 50 files, 5,000 lines of code.

With a true "developer-class" machine, it should nicely scale up an order of magnitude. I wouldn't imagine Dreamweaver to start slowing down until it's "managing" 1,000 files and 500,000 lines of code.

I eventually quit using Dreamweaver simply because I didn't want to audit all of the extraneous code it inserts.
TheDavid

I've inherited a DreamWeaver environment for mostly PHP development. I use it in code-view strictly and therefore avoid any code-generation whatsoever.

If you're a developer using dreamweaver, there's no reason whatsoever for you to use it's code gen features.
Shane Harter Send private email

I was pondering it's slowNESS also.  Is it a .NET app?
Nate Send private email
Sunday, October 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics