The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

System Design

Hi all,

I've been programming and developing systems for roughly 30 years. I'm frequently asked how can I learn systems design by people new to the field. In most cases, by systems design I mean the core business systems (A/R, Inventory, work-in-process tracking, etc.), not necessarily the latest in web based systems. My first thought is to say - time and experience. However, what are the latest and greatest books that discuss system design? Are there any worth looking at?

Thanks,

Kelley
Kelley Send private email
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I too have been doing this for nearly 30 years and I think the answer *is* experience. Particularly domain experience. If I could do one thing with junior programmers it would be to put them to work for six months at the grunt end of their chosen domain. E.g. working in the warehouse or the call centre. As for books, Codd on database design is probably not very fashionable these days but should still be understood (and practiced) by anyone wanting to do system design. At least they will know to say no when the lead BA suggests the customers telephone number can be used as the primary key. Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language is good for making people think out of the box a bit and is good easy read before subjecting oneself to Design Patterns by Gamma, Helm et al. Finally - anyone can design a system, it's delivery that's hard. For that I recommend Steve McConnell's books Rapid Development for delivery and Code Complete to ensure the finished system is based on solid foundations.
Nigel Ainscoe Send private email

I just wing it.
old.fart Send private email

Been programming VB for 30 years and yes, there is no substitute for experience with a wide range of DIFFERENT businesses.

Anyway, you've now got 3 posters with 30 years experience or so, ask away....
Ezani Send private email
Wednesday, September 27, 2006

..sorry, make that two...
Ezani Send private email
Wednesday, September 27, 2006

> However, what are the latest and greatest books that discuss system design? Are there any worth looking at?

My first introduction to design was a Yourdon seminar _Structured Design of Real-Time Systems_. The take-way tool was "data flow diagrams", which haven't really made it into UML but which I still find useful.

So, (I don't know, I haven't read them) perhaps something like http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=structured+design&meta= or http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/dataFlowDiagram.htm or http://www.amazon.com/Structured-Design-Fundamentals-Discipline-Computer/dp/0138544719
Christopher Wells Send private email
Thursday, September 28, 2006

30 Yrs in VB????!!! GREAT JOKE.

Even the VB itself is not around for 30 Yrs.
S. Vasanth Kumar Send private email
Sunday, October 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics