The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Software documentation and Help file

i was wondering wat software ppl are using for creating help files for your software.. [web based applications ..]

i need to do it for the application tat i going to be  creating . so thought will get some ideas from ppl out here
Sandy
Monday, December 06, 2004

"Help and Manual" (www.helpandmanual.com) is the best help generation tool I know of, and it's one of the cheaper ones.  Not sure what you use for help in web-based apps, but html output is one of the many formats Help and Manual lets you save help in, so I'm guessing that would work.
Herbert Sitz Send private email

We're using ComponentOne Doc-To-Help. It's... quirky, but once you've got round it's oddities, and taught people how to use Word properly (the toughest bit) it actually produces pretty good output. Being able to use the same source for our HTML help, printed manual, and CHM files is a big plus. And it's not wildly expensive either, about £600ish for the Pro version. Has a bit of a frustration factor, but is the best I found at the time for doing what we needed (seeing as our previous tool for manual layout was Quark Xpress... blech).
Andrew Cherry Send private email

For web based ASP.NET applications we use FrontPage to author the help text in HTML and then connect it up using this technique:

http://www.ferrysoft.com/developmenthowto20040622.htm

For desktop applications we use something similar but with the addition of HTML Help Workshop and this technique:

http://www.ferrysoft.com/developmenthowto20040621.htm
Mike Send private email
Wednesday, December 08, 2004

HTML Help Workshop. Simple, easy to use, and free.

Oh, but mostly Word.
Flasher T Send private email

mike i think i was looking for somethiing similar to what you guys are doing. The only problem is i m developing it in coldfusion . alteast i have a starting point now . thanks.
sandy

Hi Sandy,

I am using RoboHelp (www.ehelp.com) since a few years now. It is certainly one of the most comprehensive tools, but just like doc-to-help requires a bit of a learning. Definitely less quirk and more functionality than doc-to-help, IMHO.
RoboHelp is probably also the most expensive one in the list.
I will try Help&Manual myself pretty soon - never heard of it before, but the price sounds interesting. Although a cheapre product might sometimes pay dear in personal effort soon after putting it to work.
Good luck, Peter
Peter Woerner Send private email

After evaluating several help authoring tools, some of them mentioned above, I found none of them was satisfying. Either the user interface is bad or they don't support enough output formats or you don't have enough control over the looks of your documents.
For now I'm using docbook xml for most of my documentation. It has a steep learning curve, but it supports every output format I have ever wanted and you (can) control every detail.
Axel Hallez Send private email
Thursday, December 09, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics