The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

browser testing on a mac

Should I get virtual pc for the mac or should I use a web based service like browsercam?
I'd be interested in hearing suggestions or experiences with either option
thanks
sam
Thursday, September 14, 2006

Try Parallels, lets you install windows. (If you have an Intel Mac). Works great.
Compilenix

yeah, dont have intel based yet. I was listening to a podcast(dont remeber which) and eric meyer(css guru guy) was saying he uses vitual pc and intended to do so even when he switched to an intel based mac because of some issues with parellels.
sam

I think you need to step back and re-think what you're trying to accomplish. I say this because you'll still want to test IE 5 and IE 6, and if you're going to that much effort, you might as well test Opera and...  Konqueror?

The second best solution for the next 3 months is probably some combination of a dirt cheap office supply store PC and VMWare.

The best solution is to be aware of the differences between the various browsers and deliberately avoid using features that have drastically different results. (For example, try to stay away from animated sub-windows that move around within your browser window.)

Now that I write this, I vaguely remember a web site where some guy painstakingly took screenshots of every feature under a variety of browsers and I think I heard about it here on Joel. Unfortunately I can't remember it, so if I find it, I'll post back.
TheDavid

>Now that I write this, I vaguely remember a web site where >some guy painstakingly took screenshots of every feature >under a variety of browsers and I think I heard about it >here on Joel. Unfortunately I can't remember it, so if I >find it, I'll post back.

Are you referring to http://www.quirksmode.org?

I also find http://friendlybit.com handy as well.
AnotherMacWebDev

Browser cams are great for static pages. But if you're testing functionality you'll need the actual browser. 

And VirtualPC for Mac is dead (so says Microsoft).
Lou Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics