The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

New to C/C++, what Profilers are available

Hello,

I have been a VB6 "hacker" for my part and am getting back into C/C++.  I am looking for code profilers for C/C++.  Surprisingly I Google'ed Profilers and didnt see too many.  Are there open source ones available (I am a cheapy when I can be) or low cost ones.

What are the ones you would recommend?

This is for a Windows environment.  Profiling DLLs and EXEs would be best.
Nick Koranda Send private email
Monday, September 11, 2006

Christopher Wells Send private email
Monday, September 11, 2006

Intel VTune...
John
Tuesday, September 12, 2006

+1 John. It's the only serious choice for windows. Linux users have valgrind, which is useful, but has not been ported to windows as far as I know.
Brian Mitchell Send private email

Not necessarily cheap but very, very good: IBM Rational's Quantify is what we use.
Bert Sampson

+ 1 for Quantify. On Wall Street, in UNIX (Solaris) environments, it's the only thing we ever use.
Andrey Butov Send private email

AMD CodeAnalyst is passable (and free!). I used to use it on an Intel P3, so it's not totally AMD-specific, but the results weren't as good as VTune. And, like VTune (or at least those parts of VTune I could actually get to work...), it works by sampling the program counter, so it can be hard to see what the problem actually is. Though your program does run pretty much at full speed, which is handy.
Tom_

Glowcode is also worth trying. It has helped me a lot. See http://www.glowcode.com
Neville Franks Send private email
Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hi all,

LTProf is good and cheap:
http://www.lw-tech.com/
Unlike Quantify it does not require instrumenting of the code.

Best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Send private email
Friday, September 22, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics