The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Incremental Virus Scanning

In many circumstances, taking an incremental approach to expensive computations is a good thing.  It smoothes out the workload, and allows you to amortize the cost of the computation.  It's got features similar to reducing batch sizes in manufacturing.

So, why does my virus scan software (McAfee) insist on rescanning every file on the hard drive each time it is invoked, even if the file hasn't changed since the last time it was scanned?  It drives me mad when that thing kicks on.

Shouldn't it be possible to design a virus scanner that only scans files that are new or modified since the last scan?  What prevents it? (Or maybe I just have crappy scanning software or am misusing it)
Clueless Scan Victim Send private email
Monday, September 11, 2006

What would keep a virus from just changing the date on the file so that the virus scanner wouldn't scan it again? In fact, some viruses actually do that for various reasons.
dood mcdoogle

Someone ought to write an app that goes through your hard drive and both defragments and checks each file for viruses at the same time. That way it could all be done in one pass instead of two.
DHofmann

My biggest beef is virus checking software that doesn't let me explicitly pick the drives/folders to scan. I have multiple hard drives that are just used for backup stuff and are filled with Java files and such. I have no need to scan those.
dood mcdoogle

Depends on the virus checking software. Norton will do that. Just right click, select "Scan with Norton AntiVirus." I don't know about other virus software, but I'd think that would be important functionality

Kaspersky AV for Windows Workstations addresses all of the gripes in this thread.

We switched from SAV to KAV last year and don't have a single regret.

-Matt
Matt Lavallee Send private email
Tuesday, September 12, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics