The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Windows Forms user interface best practices?

Many of my formative years were spent mucking around with Linux so I never really learned the Win32 API, but I understand there used to be an official Microsoft best practices document for user interface conventions and standards.  Does something like this still exist for modern Windows Forms applications?  I searched through the MSDN library site but couldn't really come up with anything.

Thanks!
Jesse Send private email
Sunday, September 10, 2006

Kyralessa Send private email

Thanks, I think that's it!  I was also thinking it'd be a good idea to be aware of the "Designed for Windows XP" logo requirements, whether one submits to be certified for the logo or not.  (And I assume there's something coming down the pipeline for Vista as well.)
Jesse Send private email

Yeah, although it cracks me up that they write all these fancy documents, and then half of the Office apps break half of the rules.

-Matt
Matt Lavallee Send private email
Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Forget win32 APIs and focus on the .Net framework! Managed code is the way to go here if you want to learn something substantive about today's maverick programmer.....unmanaged code is D E A D!!!
Brice Richard Send private email
Thursday, September 14, 2006

>> .....unmanaged code is D E A D!!!

Tell that to the program manager who needs a DLL - with no external dependencies - to interface with the check processing program that handles millions of dollars per day in transactions.

Win32 -> DLL -> No imports -> Done!
Ken Brittain Send private email
Thursday, September 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics