The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Good book on web basics anyone?

I've just entered the world of web development and I want to build my foundations before I move into unknown territory, Is there a well written book on the subject, something which explains, viewstates, cache, etc..

I really enjoy reading the pragmatic series so something with that kinda writing style could be fun.
Deepak Trama Send private email
Thursday, September 07, 2006

You can find a ton of information on the web WRT HTML and HTTP. Start there.
MBJ Send private email

Hi Deepak,

Being in a similar situation as yourself, I've found some of the material from SitPoint quite good particularly:
> Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS (Lloyd), and
> Build Your Own ASP.NET Website Using C# & VB.NET (Ruvalcaba).

The SitePoint website has sample chapters available, although I found the books cheaper on Amazon.

From a design perspective you may want to have a look at 'The Non-Designer's Web Book' (Williams & Tollet).

Cheers -
Marcus from Melbourne

Dynamic HTML by Danny Goodman is a great reference I've used for years. Head First HTML and CSS gets good reviews for explaining technology and concepts.
Nonymous

anon

Head First XHTML and CSS is really well done. The quality and depth were surprising.

Ken
KenW

Danny Goodman's books are excellent and, in general, the titles from APress and O'Reilly will get you the most mileage.  I tend to avoid the MSPress and Wrox books because I've run into too many quality issues (bad code, poor editing, etc.).

It also depends upon whether your intention is to handcode HTML (and understand CSS) or use visual designers and start from VB.NET (i.e., programming).

If you are going to handcode (which I do recommend, but that's a lot of background to take in), one book I've had for almost 10 years and referenced heavily is the "Web Authoring Desk Reference" (Hayden Books).  I can't explain why they haven't released an updated version, but it's still one of the most complete volumes I've ever owned.  ISBN is 1568303521.

-Matt
Matt Lavallee Send private email
Friday, September 08, 2006

I also forgot to add to the mix two other fundamental resources.  Of course, there's Joel Spolsky's book "User Interface Design for Programmers" that will encourage customer-centric thinking, and the indispensable Bill Vaughn's "ADO.NET and ADO Examples and Best Practices".  Best book on the topic, period.

-Matt
Matt Lavallee Send private email
Friday, September 08, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics