The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Software Protection / Obfuscation

Hi Guys,

Im ready to disribute my program for profit.

However, its written in vb.net and I need to protect the code.  Obfuscation is what comes to mind..  I have already implemented a Trail Date and usage tracker and have implemented a licensing scheme that uses Private and Public Keys to unlock the license.

However I need to cramble the sourcecode so it cant be reverse engeneered.  I tried  Dotfuscator that comes with VS.  but I get errors about not being able to read the my.settings I have stored in the program.  and gives errors when running.

Does Dotfuscator community edition 3.0 prevent from my.settings being scrambled?

Is there an alternative to DotFuscator?

I cant offord more than $200-250.00 for this at the moment.  any reliable obfuscation programs that I can purchase as a single developer for this pricetag. 

also any Trail Licensign alternative protection programs you would recomend inthis pricerange as well?

Please list your favorite protection systems.  in 200-300 dollar budget. 

Thank You!
MagicPixels Send private email
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Is this a secure one? for 200$

obfuscator and encryptor of your program.. 
so many options.. i cant figure out what to buy / use

http://www.codewall.net/?gclid=CIrQstzDl4cCFUMMGAodDQdKrA
MagicPixels Send private email
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

http://www.eziriz.com/comparison.htm  <<<  obfuscation comparison..is this legit?

help..

cant decide which one to get for a 2-300 $$ budget.

so far Coldwell and  Net Reactor worked fine for my application.. 

im likeing Net reactor because it also does a Trial implementation too. trial veriosn of my app to epxires in xDays.
magicpixels
Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I've been using Eziriz .Net Reactor for quite a while, and I have been very happy with it. It obfuscates and compiles down to native code, as well as licensing functionality. I was looking at a competitor for code protection, and another competitor for licensing, but .Net Reactor accomplishes both for a lot less money. I have also been VERY impressed with the very prompt support.

Good luck.
Gareth Hayter Send private email

You might give the one I wrote a try (it's called Assemblur).

Although nowhere close to Dotfuscator in terms of features, Assemblur does have an option to exclude auto-generated settings-related clases from obfuscation.

http://blogs.metapropeller.com/klisa/PermaLink,guid,bf60e552-c6e2-4a67-8cf2-f367244998ad.aspx

It's worth mentioning that, if you use things like reflection, databinding or serialization in your code you might still have to manually exclude some other types from obfuscation.
Vladimir Klisic

All of these seem to be for .NET, is there any product for managed .exe files for VS2005 and VC6.0 ??
vanaj Send private email
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics