The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How to make my application receive email(without pop3)

Hello All,
I was using trial version of FogBuz couple of months back and now I've to implement one FogBuz feature into application I am developing these days. The feature I am talking about is "how to receive email like FogBugz does"?
As far as I remember, fogbuz gives you an email address and if you send email to that address then the email will be shown once you log into your fogbugz account.
I am actually new to web based development , I've background in embedded software. I am using Asp.net. Any help or comments will highly be appreciated.
Thanks,
AG
AfterGlow Send private email
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

You will need to periodically connect to your mail server (usually using POP or IMAP) to retrieve nails and process them.
Neither POP nor IMAP is supported by the .NET Framework, but there are plenty of 3rd party components out there that do.
Joe

If using Linux you can pipe it in as well.

POP3 is probley the best and just have it check every 3 minutes or so.
Lee

Short of implementing your own SMTP server, a POP3/IMAP collector is about as well as you can do.

Is there any particular reason you're avoiding POP3?
Matt Lavallee Send private email
Wednesday, September 06, 2006

You could port your application to Emacs LISP, and then you'd get email functionality for free.  It would also be an impressive feat of software engineering to discuss on Joel's forum.
Flow

In the UNIX world the standard way to do this is by creating a mail alias with a pipe delivery mechanism.  Mail sent to a certain address was delivered by means of calling the associated program, which handled all of the necessary processing.

I don't know how it's handled in the Windows world, but a POP/IMAP client does seem like the best bet.
Clay Dowling Send private email

You can write a little proggie that you put on people's mail servers and check locally for mail which is then forwarded to a webservice on your server. This would work well (it does) if all your users run Exchange for example.
Plamen Send private email
Saturday, September 09, 2006

You could also write your app as a virus and have it infect someone else's Outlook system to receive mail for you.
Flow
Monday, September 11, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics