The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Determining if the db schema has changed

I'm writing a sort of framework for database unit testing, the only ones I've looked at so far are ndbunit, using com+ transaction tricks, etc.. and I'm thinking of using a sp to cleanup test data and use 'identity insert' statements to insert autoincrementing test data, verifying that the data indeed exists could be tested using 'select' statements.
The problem is that my test database could get outdated if someone makes changes to the production db, I want my process to take a look at the production db and if it is different from the test db to restore the production db to the test version.
Is there a fast (and easy) way to determine if the schema has changed? Are there some sort of tools (command line ones?) for automating this with ms sql server 2000? I could always use osql but just in case you guys know of something better...
Deepak Trama Send private email
Monday, September 04, 2006

Lookup the following SQL commands:

show tables
show columns
show keys
show index

You can pass these in a SQL query from a script and get a rowset back.
Rowland

I made a DB diff once that did that. It's also useful for applying upgrades during software releases. It might be worth your effort to make one.
son of parnas

Again, I will pimp it - DBGhost (http://www.dbghost.com)
no affiliation, just so very happy with it
... Send private email

too many people pimping it these days, will take a look
Deepak Trama Send private email
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Because it works so well
... Send private email
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics