The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Applications & servers

I'm developing a Windows application to be used on a standalone PC/laptop. Typically this machine will happen to be part of a corporate network. A simple license check will bind the app to a particular machine.

AFAIK many corporates use Windows servers for e-mail, web access, & backup only i.e; the client machines are nominally independent and plug into the server only for these functions. All apps need to be individually installed on each machine & user directories are also local. However I know from my ancient Unix (Solaris) experience that the server can export both the user's filesystem as well as application binaries. Is this latter scenario common in the Windows server world?
230 Volts Send private email
Friday, September 01, 2006

Yes, to simplify desktop management, large companies often keep all user data on file servers and the desktop machine applications are installed from a standard image on a file server.
Mike S Send private email

DHofmann

It all depends on the network.  I have seen networks that have roaming user profiles, ones that reconfigure all the installed software when the user logins (software follows user), networks where users have local admin rights, networks where the users can't login without a password & smart card.

So for what you need think this way, if its a standalone app, not server networking, just make sure it install with the standard admin tools so network admins can install it painlessly.  This will include things like being able to preset the CD Key (look up MS Office Admin Install). 

The 2 from MS are SMS & installing using group policy.  I'd start with those, I'm sure Novell has some as well as other companies too.
Lee
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics