The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

good relational database design book?

Can anyone recommend a good relational database design book? 

thanks
Andy Webster Send private email
Thursday, August 31, 2006

Dated but good: _Oracle Design_ by Stevenson and Ensor, O'Reilly Associates. Much advice that I think can be used in non-Oracle cases.

Good to have on the shelves: C.J. Date, _Introduction to Database Systems_.

IMHO toxic and to be avoided: _Database Design for Mere Mortals_, oddly in print after some years now.

Friday, September 01, 2006

"Good to have on the shelves" is apt for Date, I agree. It's something serious practitioners need to have read; but it won't actually explicitly tell you how to design a database.
Larry Lard Send private email

Database Design For Mere Mortals.

It's a few years old now but covers the basics pretty well.
KC Send private email

I agree that '...Mere Mortals' isn't suitable for production-quality help, but for someone who's completely new to the subject it's a far easier read than the Oracle or Microsoft publications.
a former big-fiver Send private email

thanks much for the helpful advice everyone!
Andy Webster Send private email

Here's an excellent choice:

Data Modeling Essentials - Analysis, Design and Innovation
by Graeme Simsion and Graham Witt. Accessible, readable, complete.

http://www.amazon.com/Modeling-Essentials-Kaufmann-Management-Systems/dp/0126445516/sr=8-2/qid=1157302618/ref=sr_1_2/103-8799827-9595038?ie=UTF8&s=books
Steve McLeod Send private email
Sunday, September 03, 2006

"Database Design For Mere Mortals."

+1. Got me through a large project several years ago before I was savvy to RDMSs.
MBJ Send private email
Thursday, September 07, 2006

Vote another +1 for "Data modeling essentials". Read it once, but carefuly. IMHO it is enough for 90% of your career problems.
 Date's books are solid technical books, but are far from what Oracle, MS and IBM (also all other vendors!) call database technology.
 If you choose Oracle later, try Tom Kyte's books especially "Effective Oracle by Design".
 -Good luck
Ach Send private email
Thursday, September 21, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics