The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Software Licensing file

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I keep posting new topics around this area.  I just need help..  prefferably detailed help.

Im thining of implementing a licensing sytem into my app to make my application a 30 day trial.

using the source of >>>  http://jclement.ca/devel/dotnet/reallysimplelicensing.html

its simple enough.  But one thing I'm missing is do i email the customer a premade license file? or do they enter a serial number on their side and the license file gets generated?

how can i mark in the license file their system id so it is only valid for that computer?

from what I understand..  I make the license file and email to the user to put in the program directory.

Please help..  tips / advice..

also need a way of counting days.. so need a way to put the date in the license file.. and in registery to track wen it was installed..  Thanx..  anyone has a working system in place and willing to share part of source code would be appreciated...  Thanx
MagicPixels Send private email
Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I decided to purchase a security system thats prebuilt for .net apps..

any recommendations?

i have about $300.00 alocated for this.

Please tell me which one is worth implementing.

Thanx.
MagicPixels
Thursday, August 31, 2006

slartibartfast Send private email
Thursday, August 31, 2006

"how can i mark in the license file their system id so it is only valid for that computer?"

Use GetVolumeNameForMountPoint( "C:\" ) to get the GUID for that computers cdrive.  This is mostly unique for each computer and generate a formula from that id to activate it.
The guid will be in the form of two 64 bit nos.
You can implement a key with some formula like:

id1*293847+id2*9347+23849 = key.  where id1 and id2 are the 2 64 bit nos making up the guid of their cdrive.  The sofware should report the drive id to the user who will give those numbers to you and you can give him the key based on the formula.

when that key is given the software will generate a file on that computer and will compare the key every time it is started and give full functionality.
shankar Send private email
Sunday, September 03, 2006

"also need a way of counting days.. so need a way to put the date in the license file.. and in registery to track wen it was installed.."

Forget date limited versions, they suck and are also easy to crack when they stop working.  Consider giving reduced functionality until key is given.
shankar Send private email
Sunday, September 03, 2006

why/how is a date stop limitation easier to crack?

i should make it so it stop uploading files lets say. after expiers?

the date stop I wanted for BETA users.. to set a date after which the beta release would not work..

I need a way to obfuscate the code now to prevent reverse engenering the exe to get the protection scheme.
MagicPixels Send private email
Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics