The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Easy to use testing app (sort of...)

I'm looking for a 'easy to learn' application which will walk through my site looking for errors, I guess there's quick test pro but I'm looking for something more lightweight and usable with minimum scripting, I guess it sounds like I'm looking for a silver bullet here but I'm just wondering what others are using.

it could just try to fill in a web form with some predefined values, submit and see if it finds any errors, things like that basically that would automate some of my simpler testing.
Deepak Trama Send private email
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Try JMeter, easy to learn (about an hour for the basic stuff). Takes some time to set up a bunch of tests though.
Compilenix
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Not sure if this is what you're looking for , but I'm fond of the Firefox extension Selenium:
http://www.openqa.org/selenium-ide/

Turn on record, go through a section you want to test and specify things to look for in the ouput. Scripts can be saved, edited and re-run with a minimum of fuss.
dwayne
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

What kinds of errors are you looking for?  Broken links and HTTP error codes?  HTML and CSS validation?  Script execution?
Chris Marshall (SuperBot Offline Browser) Send private email
Wednesday, August 30, 2006

functional errors like looking for 'known' error messages, looking out for 'page not found' erros, basically all the things that you do manually after a site upload like going through the pages, entering values and submitting to make sure things are working - I want to automate the simpler tasks.
and yes some kind of tool which does what you described - some sort of static code analyser isn't exactly what I'm looking for but let me know if you've found a real good one.
Deepak Trama Send private email
Friday, September 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics