The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

frameworks/libraries for financial app

Are there any decent free/open source packages that are useful for implementing financial-type apps? Some of the things I'm looking for:

- Commonly used entities/objects: securities, portfolios, accounts, money, etc.
- Trading indicators (RSI, MA, simple breakouts, etc)
- Charts and graphs

I've thought about implementing #'s 1 and 2 myself, but if there was an easy to use library for this stuff it might make more sense to reuse it.

My language and platform constraints are not that important, although I would prefer cross-platform/portable languages like Java.  It should be useable either in a server environment or on the desktop.  If it's .Net based I'm keen on learning to use it with Mono..
NPR
Friday, August 25, 2006

Google for "quantlib", "ta-lib".
Ori Berger
Saturday, August 26, 2006

In the Java world theres JFreeChart for doing charts and graphs. You will probably want a reports engine too? Theres JasperReports you can use for that.

Cant think of any financial domain libraries off the top of my head, but I can recomend to you Martin Fowler's classic "Analysis Patterns" book for techniques for modelling accounting, finance, and trading concepts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201895420/104-4107323-8451952?v=glance&n=283155
AH Send private email
Saturday, August 26, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics