The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How do you document your web application?

I know that I can take my asp.net application and get it reversed to a UML document, but that doesn't tell the whole story of things like who can use what, what it calls in the way of stored procedures, what pages call what pages etc. etc.

Does anyone know of an article where someone has a comprehensive way to document a web application/site? Or shall I just make up my own way? ;)
Tim Almond Send private email
Friday, August 25, 2006

The purpose of UML (or any similar method) is not an exhaustive documentation of something IMHO, it's to help people understand something.

You mentioned 3 things you wanted to document:

1. Who can use what
2. What it calls in the way of stored procedures
3. What pages call what pages

For the first I'd probably use some use cases.

For the second (I honestly can't remember the name) there is one that shows each call from one method to the next, you could probably use that.

For the third I'd use some activity diagrams.

Don't fear the UML! Seriously though, it's just a tool to help communicate.

There are a ton of different ways to show things within UML, you just pick the ones that you need to explain something and leave the rest.

Also, when I started using it I was worried because I was using Visio and my UML wasn't 'strict' and Visio was underlining stuff in red all over the place.

Forget doing it strict (at least for now).

I recommend 'UML 2.0 In a Nutshell':

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596007957/002-6366686-4363261?v=glance&n=283155

Look here for some tutorials:

http://www.uml.org/#Links-General
D in PHX Send private email
Friday, August 25, 2006

> asp.net application and get it reversed to a UML document

IMHO In most cases automagically generated UML is pretty useless as it includes too much detail. UML is great at capturing the higher level abstractiosn - activity models, use cases, sequence diagrams, component models etc.

Personally, I'm happer with the "UML as sketch" approach rather than the "UML as implementation model" approach that many people (mostly tool vendors) advocate.
arethuza Send private email
Friday, August 25, 2006

Uh. I don't?
SomeDude Send private email
Friday, August 25, 2006

I am interested in this topic also. In particular: documenting a system once it is completed documents only what it does, which may be (far) removed from what it was intended to do.

I think both directions (intended vs actual) need to be documented, and would be interested in seeing an application, framework or standard that attempts to do so.
Aaron DC Send private email
Friday, August 25, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics