The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How to get or avoid glaux.h

I am trying to learn to use OpenGL, and I have found that many of the tutorials and much of the source code uses the header file glaux.h.  I always get a "no such file or directory" on the line where they include glaux.h.  Is there anywhere I could download this file?  Also, I heard that some compilers don't support it, I have MinGW, is that a problem?  I have also heard that glaux is outdated and has lost support.  Is that true?  Is there any way of getting all of this older code to work? (preferably without glaux.h if it is outdated)  Also, do you know of any good beginer OpenGL tutorials or forums or websites?
Steven Gary Noyce Send private email
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Peruse that site and you will find every answer you are looking for plus some.
Chris Send private email
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

glAux is useful extras, quick way of loading a bitmap into a texture, a few fonts, a 3d teapot etc.
You probably don't want them in production systems but they are good for learning opengl without having to worry too much about the os.

Another vote for NeHe - work through the lessons on there and you will not pretty much all of OpenGL.
Martin Send private email
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Did you search the compiler include directories for it?  It might be there but not in the root of an include directory.  For example, the Windows Platform SDK includes glaux.h under the gl subdirectory so #include <glaux.h> won't work but #include <gl/glaux.h> will.
SomeBody Send private email
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics