The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Any cheap UI tool suited for .NET

Hi,

I am starting a microISV part time to create .NET applications.

I am used to using ComponentOne suite and also at work, we are going to use DEVExpress tools.

The problem is, these suites are very expensive, especially for a lone developer.

Are there any tools suited that are better priced for initial purchase?
MikeG
Friday, August 11, 2006

Sorry the header should read:

"Any Cheap UI tool suites for .NET?"
MikeG
Friday, August 11, 2006

Have you tried SharpDevelop.  I am a big fan.
MeOnSoftware
Friday, August 11, 2006

Sorry, didn't read the clarification.
MeOnSoftware
Friday, August 11, 2006

How much more in time and productivity is it going to cost you to learn a second tools suite?

Perhaps ComponentOne is more expensive at first, but you have years (presumably) of experience with it.

Your time as a MicroISV is precious.  You can't afford to do a lot of screwing around trying to save a couple hundred dollars just to lose thousands because you lose out on the opportunity.
Karl Perry Send private email
Saturday, August 12, 2006

I liked those at http://divil.co.uk (not affiliated in any way). They seem affordable compared to the full blown suites, free for non-commercial use, and performed better than a couple of other suites when I lasted checked them (a year ago or so).

Then there's the free Krypton Toolkit (google for it) and probably a little too incomplete yet: http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=ASCENDNET (haven't used either of these).
Philipp Schumann Send private email
Saturday, August 12, 2006

Karl,

Its not about wasted time, more that I cannot afford to buy them.
MikeG
Monday, August 14, 2006

Philip:

Thanks for the second link. Looks interesting.
MikeG
Monday, August 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics