The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Logging

Hi,

I have a requirement of logging/tracing all the actions a user performs on our applications. This "logging service" should be pluggable (easier to integrate with existing systems) and asynchronous (independent of actual execution in order minimize impact to users).

Now, before I begin designing and eventually coding on these lines, I just wanted to get some opinions on how this should be accomplished. The idea is to not only log the entire series of executions in a database, but also debug/error/warning messages.

So essentially this logging service would end up having various components.

Also wanted to know if some logging mechanism of this sort already exists, which can be modified to suit my needs.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Pratul Chakre
Pratul Chakre Send private email
Tuesday, August 08, 2006

For C++ log4cpp isn't bad. Java has it's own.
son of parnas
Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I needed a very basic yet global logging mechanism for our programs to help aid with in the field debugging. I threw together a quick simple text file wrapped in a singleton class and then just used the singleton whenever I needed to log things.
Josh McFarlane Send private email
Wednesday, August 09, 2006

log4java, log4cpp or log4net
Albert Tollkuci

+1 for the log4net, etc

The nice thing is that if you have all of the tracing in place and a customer has a problem, you can give them a new config file to turn on all of the tracing to everything, or to just the dll that needs it.
SteveM Send private email

Thank you everyone, for your responses.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I would be using Java for the logging.

I have started looking into the log4J logger.

Would anybody happen to have an online/soft copy of the Log4J Manual ?

Many thanks once again.
Pratul CHakre
Pratul Chakre Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics