The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Representing a compagny hierarchy.

Hello,
What about using icons to represent positions in a company?
I'm want to adding this feature to our new forum (the one that will be a sort of knowledge base for the company).
Each department manager would be assigned an icon (technical manager, financial manager) plus a departement icon. This will identify them when they post a topic.
Is it a good user interface feature? The problem now, is that I can't find any icon to fit my need, but I think text will be long.
nvictor Send private email
Thursday, August 03, 2006

I would have a company graphics designer work with you to create some... this is a great idea.
Jeremy

This is a good idea, but since each post will presumably be long text is probably ok too.

PICTURE      asdfffffadfasd dsfsdfsd
PICTURE      asdfa dsfasdfasdfasdf afsdf
PICTURE      adfasdlfaslkdfjlk
Name Name    kjlasjdlaksd dkfjalsdkfjlskjflskjd
Manager (IT)
PHDude Send private email

I think it's an intruiging concept, but I'd use their picture too.  Afterall, if someone answers a question that is *really* important to me, I'd love to be able to thank them when I see them in the hallway later on.

Also, it might make sense to have an anonymous questions area...  likely relevant for HR-policy type questions.
KC Send private email

I wouldn't use icons - they only work when they are easily identifiable visual cues.  I imagine you'll have to invent a whole bunch of new images and nobody will understand what they mean (what does a technical manager look like?!?!)
Mike S Send private email

Mike S is right. I'm reducing the number of icons to a few based on layers in the department. Since our company is only three layers depth, it will be good.

Kc too :). And they will be able to do so in a sort of profile page.
nvictor Send private email

It sounds like you're trying to equate a person's position with their expertise. For example, if Bob is a manager, we should take his answers more seriously than we'd take his secretary's answers.

I think you will find this is rarely true in the real world.

However, when we tackled something similar, we created a list of "subject matter experts" and people on that list would get a star icon next to their names.  For example, Alice, the secretary, would get recognition as an expert on Human Resources related tasks (such as hiring, discipline, termination) and Bob would not.
TheDavid

Somehow I was picturing various animals as icons.
l belk
Friday, August 04, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics