The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

webify

To the point:
Might there be a software tool that takes a regulare rich client application and "web-ifize" it to be controlled through IE/Firefox?

Some background:
I develop for the Windows Mobile (Pocket PC) platform and would *like* to create my new app using a rich GUI.  AND also need it to have web functionality (web app).

I obviously do not want to develop two versions of it (one for the rich client, and one for the web).  And doubt that the web app version will be as rich and user friendly to use.

Might there be a software tool that takes a regulare rich client application and "web-ifize" it to be controlled through IE/Firefox?
It's almost like VNC, but you won't have to download anything to your computer to control the Windows Mobile running application.

Anyone have experience with web app development on the Windows Mobile platform?
sedwo Send private email
Wednesday, August 02, 2006

This is pretty much the concept behind Web Services/SOA... basically you'd have the core functionality hosted somewhere and then your clients (web, rich client, customer) basically talk to it through API's and get the info back.
KC Send private email

The core functionality + rich client app must all reside on one Pocket PC PDA.  It will be the server (for the web) and also a client for its internal purpose.

To explain:
The application is for home automation use.  So the user can walk around with the PDA (or it can hang on the wall) and control/setup things.  Doubled with the feature of also being able to do the same things remotely from the web (PDA stays at home of course, and its application is accessed from the web).

So how do I pull this off?
sedwo Send private email

I haven't developed anything specifically for Windows Mobile, but web development in general, yes I've done that for Windows.

If you're going to have to support two ways of accessing the data, you're writing two separate pieces of software.  Just accept that and move on--we'll wait.

Good, now that you've done that, make sure that there is absolutely NO business logic in your interface code.  None, zip, zero.  If you can't separate it, redesign the application so that you can.

Now that you've got that out of the way, put your user interface code on top of that.  You'll have to do this twice, once for the web and once for the GUI.

If you need some resource pointers on this contact me off list.  I've been writing web apps in C and C++ for a few years now, so I have a decent toolkit.
Clay Dowling Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics