The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

ODBC/OLE DB Drivers of PostgreSQL/MySQL

Both PostgreSQL and MySQL has released ODBC and OLE DB drivers to work with .NET. I want to know whether there is some speed/stability difference on using ODBC instead of OLE DB, for .NET applications.
RPK Send private email
Monday, July 31, 2006

For MySQL, I think the ODBC drivers are older and better debugged. I would assume OLE DB would be faster, as it's closer to the metal (OLD DB is typically faster than ADO). Run some benchmarks and see what happens.

Don't quote me on this, but I think ODBC providers offer richer access to database metadata than OLE DB, so if that's something you need (like for a database design tool), ODBC might be a better choice.
MBJ Send private email
Monday, July 31, 2006

ADO is the typical way one uses OLEDB, not an alternative to OLEDB.

To use ADO with ODBC requires going through an additional "interop" layer OLEDB Provider for ODBC.

ODBC is an old technology, and most implementations have issues that may be as trivial as not allowing access to atypically used features of a DBMS.

Most OLEDB Providers are written directly to the DBMS's native API.
l belk
Monday, July 31, 2006

“ADO is the typical way one uses OLEDB, not an alternative to OLEDB.”

I never said otherwise.

”To use ADO with ODBC requires going through an additional "interop" layer OLEDB Provider for ODBC.”

Don’t you mean “To use ODBC with ADO requires….”? There is a subtle difference.

”ODBC is an old technology, and most implementations have issues that may be as trivial as not allowing access to atypically used features of a DBMS.”

OLE DB is no different. Look up “provider-specific interfaces.”

“Most OLEDB Providers are written directly to the DBMS's native API.”

Most of the ODBC drivers I have used also directly invoke the underlying database client APIs.

I think OLE DB is the way to go for Access and SQL Server, but for anything else, ODBC can still be the optimal solution if one uses high quality drivers.

The models are very similar. The primary difference being OLE DB uses COM externally; ODBC uses plain old DLLs externally (but could use COM internally).
MBJ Send private email
Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I am using VB.NET 2003 for my projects. I want to know whether components written in VC++ (ODBC/OLE DB) fetch data faster than VB.NET.
RPK Send private email
Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Write a test case. I doubt it's cut and dry.
MBJ Send private email
Tuesday, August 01, 2006

ADO.NET Provider
better & newer >
  OLEDB
better & newer >
  ODBC

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/dotnet/
nullptr
Thursday, August 03, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics