The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Most elegant way to deliver software over the data pipe

I m wondering what is the most elegant way to deliver enterprise software over the internet.
I know that J2EE has a lot of enterprise ready libraries and so does .NET.

I dont want to alienate a lot of power hackers by choosing windows, please give me your expert advice to choose the same..

Does Mono.NET do enterprise? has any tried mono on enterprise apps. thanks a lot
anil Send private email
Friday, July 28, 2006

I am not sure myself if Mono is enterprise ready, but the people at SourceGear are running their application on top of it for their linux installations.  I imagine it is getting to the point where it is robust.  [YMMV]
Joshua Volz Send private email
Friday, July 28, 2006

Anil, if requiring Windows would alienate many of your users, then you have to deliver the application so it runs on whatever operating system your users accept.

What will they accept?

If your users have a mix of systems - Windows, Mac, Unix - then I believe your best bet is to provide a Web application.  The only thing you need to tell your users to install is an up to date Web browser, which they can get for free and should have anyway.

From the point of view of your users, your application is simply a Web site.  This requires a lot of inelegant programming on your part.  However, it takes away the need to install or update anything but a browser on your users' machines.  The complexity stays with the programmers and server administrators, who are equipped to deal with complexity, while the user's experience is kept simple.

Assuming you accept the idea of offering a web application, the next question is what is the best development & runtime platform.  I recommend choosing between Microsoft's .Net version 2, openLaszlo, and LAMP.  I wouldn't use Mono until they have ASP.NET version 2 finished.
Flow
Saturday, July 29, 2006

This requires a lot of inelegant programming on your part.
can you please xplain

i think your conclusion of web app is sound

lamp => python?

ms .net do i have to pay m$
nvidia Send private email
Monday, July 31, 2006

"I dont want to alienate a lot of power hackers by choosing windows..."

I do not think power hackers are your target audience.

For enterprise level software, the vast majority of users are corporate drones who just want to get the job done and go home at the end of the day. They almost certainly will be using Windows whether they like it or not.

If you're thinking about a small number of users (say 20) within an otherwise very large company (say 2,000), then you need to ask what are they using now, and make your decision based on that.

For example, if the system administrators are all using Windows or Solaris, then it is pointless to offer them a tool that requires Ubuntu.
TheDavid
Monday, July 31, 2006

when i meant power hackers, i meant programmers/devs who i can hire

Thursday, August 10, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics