The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Code in english or local language

Do any users here have experience in coding in english instead of the local language. Most library functions and statements are in english but our domain language is local. So do people translate their domain to english or just mix languages?

Any experience?
The company owner
Friday, July 28, 2006

I've only ever seen it done in English (I work in Germany).

Friday, July 28, 2006

Yes. We code everything in english... However, some redneck slips in. ...we are located in Georgia.
TownDrunk
Friday, July 28, 2006

Lingua Romana
Friday, July 28, 2006

As Al Murray says:

"English - the language the Bible was written in!"
TGIF
Friday, July 28, 2006

Everything must be in English. Nothing else is acceptable.
sloop
Friday, July 28, 2006

Which is funny for the folks who need Unicode support for the source code. I generally agree that English should be the norm, but I fear that at least 90% of the international folks (including me sometimes) mix languages.

It's not an easy task to use a foreign language when programming, even English.

These days I have figured out something else about software development: Social aspects pervade it, making it even a bigger of a challenge. I mean, all the virtues and vices of the societies are present in it, without any special treatment whatsoever. To fix software development is to try to fix the societies. Which reminds me: It's no wonder some take the easiest route of trying to avoid the problems altogether, but even then they aren't totally safe.

So, are you one of the elite or not? :-)
Lostacular
Friday, July 28, 2006

The practice I've always seen working with Japanese code is that comments are in Japanese, and everything else -- variable names, method names, error messages -- is in English, or the closest the programmers can manage.  This means that the local programmers can get by with less than perfect English skills, but when they need to pull in a consultant with flakey Japanese, he can still follow the program by reading the code.
Iago
Friday, July 28, 2006

English all the way, even checkin comments and bug reports are english, even though it's a second language for everyone involved.

If someone had trouble understanding it, I simply wouldn't hire him.
Matthias Winkelmann
Friday, July 28, 2006

At the Japanese technology incubator where I work 90% of the code has been "identifiers in English, comments in Japanese".  The first declaration of most variables gets commented with a translation.

The other 10% is a mix of all English, no English, inconsistent conventions, and Perl.
Patrick McKenzie Send private email
Friday, July 28, 2006

"These days I have figured out something else about software development: Social aspects pervade it..."

Immediately reminds me:

"Keep in mind that software development is a human activity." - Bjarne stroustrup, S23.2 & S23.5.3 of TC++PL
Chris Send private email
Friday, July 28, 2006

From my personal experience with source code from outside of the US, the code itself is in English while the comments are in the local language.

Sometimes I'll see some comments in English mixed in with the local language as well. In any case, I just follow the code. Personally I have no problem with it.
QADude Send private email
Friday, July 28, 2006

Maybe it's the different business area but... where-ever I've helped code in spain (all line-of-business apps for government), we have always used spanish for identifiers, comments and whatever else happened to get written. not to say that sometimes it was easier to just strip the comments and the (timestamped+commented) dead code and read the real code raw, but that's another story...
Antonio
Friday, July 28, 2006

Thanks Romana: Peligata is very impressive
Art Wilkins
Sunday, July 30, 2006

In your case, if you are using English as the source code language, you could use a 'official' translation.  Take the domain terminology in the local language and create a list of english translations for them.  From that point on, the use of only the terminology in that list is mandatory.  This keeps things clear and without multiple synonyms in the source code.
Dave
Monday, July 31, 2006

I've once worked on a job where all the libraries & calls would be in english, but the rest would _all_ be in Dutch.  It worked well, and was not confusing. But this is something you need to decide for the entire codebase. You cannot reasonably have multiple languages in a single project.
Dave
Monday, July 31, 2006

Everything in English. It's just so unbelievably ugly to mix English language keywords with Dutch (in my case) variable names or even comments.
Frederik Slijkerman
Thursday, August 10, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics