The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Oracle Warehouse Builder

Hello everybody.

I'm compelled to use Oracle Warehouse Builder for a coming project.
I did number of tests but I hardly make it work. It's bloated and overly complex.
Does anybody has a suggestion of a simple way to master the beast? Any good book or resource beside Oracle's?
Any comment is appreciated.
Sevenoaks Send private email
Thursday, July 27, 2006

Yes. OWB is basically a graphical tool to write PL/SQL. The way around it is to keep the part created with the graphics to the bare minimum, then do your development almost completely in PL/SQL.

You never want to try to write real-life business logic in one of those graphic ETL tools.
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Thursday, July 27, 2006

I looked at one of the early incarnations of OWB, and didn't enjoy the experience much. I was using Informatica at the time and it seemed clunky even in comparison to that.

The forums at TechNet might be a better place to find resources.
David Aldridge Send private email
Friday, July 28, 2006

Hi,

I've been trying to make it work for the past month and unfortunately I'm still where I began. What a waste of time!!! These tools are supposed to make your life easier, right? I've been using Oracle tools for almost ten years now and with every new app/release they getting more complicated.

Now, I'm about to ditch OWB but I don't know what other tools are around... that work.

Any suggestions? I think ANYTHING would be better than this.

Regards,
Osvaldo Santos
Grupo Asesor
[osantos]
Osvaldo Santos Send private email
Tuesday, August 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics